Friday, January 02, 2015

Sticks and Stones

I'm back from my New Year's travels, and what does my browser greet me with but this chariming story about Israelis settlers pelting an American diplomatic convoy with rocks. The convoy was investigating reports of Jewish vandalism targeting Palestinian olive trees in the West Bank. I have two thoughts:

1) There is no reason whatsoever why Jewish rock throwers should be viewed or treated any differently from Palestinian rock-throwers. We know, after all, just how dangerous throwing rocks can be.

2) If violent Israeli settlers think that the United States isn't on their side, then I'd say the U.S. is doing something right. Sometimes aggrieved foreigners are filmed throwing projectiles at American symbols and our instinct is to assume they must have a point. They don't, or don't always, and this is an excellent example of a group I'm perfectly happy to see unhappy with American policies.

1 comment:

EW said...

"We know, after all, just how dangerous throwing rocks can be."

I expected a link to the story of David and Goliath.