Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Alright With Me

I'm a bit behind the ball on this one, but I wanted to point to Fred Thompson's response to grumblings from the religious right that he is insufficiently religious:
Thompson dismissed those comments, saying "I'm OK with the Lord, and the Lord is OK with me as far as I can tell."

I note this because I think it's a good answer, particularly given the political forces must be pushing Thompson in a much more aggressive direction. After all, Thompson was originally recruited into the race as the Christian conservative candidate -- a niche he hasn't done a good job filling. Yet, Thompson resisted the temptation to engage in the classic warrior-for-Christ type language that seems so common in the GOP, in favor of a much more relaxed, low-key answer. I appreciate that.

Of course, it's probably politically foolish. But I've noticed that about the Republican field -- any time they do something I like, it invariably is the sort of thing that will hurt them in the primary.

3 comments:

PG said...

Of course, it's probably politically foolish. But I've noticed that about the Republican field -- any time they do something I like, it invariably is the sort of thing that will hurt them in the primary.

Yes, but the kind of thing that will help them in the general election. Thompson, until very recently, saw Giuliani as his big competition and figured that Giuliani was about as far from Christian conservative as humanly possible -- yet still was at the top of GOP polls. I suspect Huckabee's success may lead to some realigning, however.

Cycle Cyril said...

I always felt that Fred was "enlisted" due to his conservative, in a federalist sense, views and not his theological views.

His comment distantly reminds me of Churchill's comment concerning his relationship with the church of England, (I'm more or less paraphrasing), "I am not a pillar of the church but more of a flying buttress - I support it from the outside"

Randomscrub said...

That sort of response is part of the reason I like Fred Thompson. I am a fairly religious man myself, but in my experience, when a candidate makes their religion a cornerstone of their campaign, they do so as a prelude to moralizing about how they will restrict our freedoms by passing legislation requiring us to be virtuous in accordance with their interpretation of said religion or increasing our taxes essentially to take better care of the poor. Less openly religious is fine with me!