Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"Voted For Torture!"

U.S. Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-GA) said it. About himself. Proudly. A few days later, he backed off, saying that he "voted against the anti-torture bill." As The Plank notes, if you're anti-anti-torture, then you are....?

When queried on specific, Westmoreland had the following to say:
Pressed on whether that means he supports torture, he said, "What's torture? Torture is many things to many people ... people have different breaking points."

Asked whether he would support using electric shocks, he said, "Electric shocks are given to people during initiations to different clubs ... Is that torture? I don't know."

Asked about beatings, he said, "Are you talking about tying his hands behind his back and beating him in the head? No, I'm not for that."

Excuse me while I bash my head against a concrete wall.

No comments: