Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Two Notes on College

Two quickies on college:

First, the thing I might like best of all about college is the throw-back mentality. That is, you're growing up with the same kids through middle and high school, and so you kind of feel compelled to disown all the "childish" things you enjoyed when you were younger to prove that you're "mature" and all that. But in college, all those old things--comics, toys, cartoon shows--become instant bonding material. There's no need to put on a facade--you're already in college after all--so there is a free reign to be goofy and enjoy all the things that made childhood such a blast.

Maybe that's just Carleton and its uber-mellow persona, and at more preppy schools people are talking about their favorite yacht and their upcoming vacation in the Swiss Alps ("Good one, Chet!"). But at least at Carleton, the freedom to do all the bizarre things that you've always wanted to do (Campus-wide dart gun fight! Cookies available 24/7!) are what makes these four years great.

Second, a more personal note. Driving home from work today in Bethesda, I saw a Black Jeep in front of me with a "Carleton College" sticker on it. Needless to say, this is a rare occurance in my lovely hometown, most of whose residents guess that Carleton is a community college somewhere. So that sent my mind racing: who among the few Carls in the area could have been in front of me? Or perhaps it was a graduate? Anyway, if you're Carleton affiliated and you drive a Black Jeep (and were in Bethesda today), give me a ring. I want to know who you are.

3 comments:

Disenchanted Dave said...

I don't think it's just a Carleton thing. My big state school has some of the same features.

Disenchanted Dave said...

In the same vein, iTunes just released Dr. Seuss audiobooks. I got a big grin and when I showed it to my college/post-college friends, I got reactions like "omg! yay!" and "I love those!" I don't think that would have happened in high school. Certainly not in middle school.

I don't know if this link will work for you, but in theory it should open iTunes and take you to the Dr. Seuss page, if you're interested. At three bucks apiece (13 bucks for a multi-pack), I may end up buying a few myself. John Cleese and Dustin Hoffman's renditions sound wonderful from the previews. Unfortunately, no pictures in an audiobook.

I'm so glad I don't have to be embarrassed about this sort of thing anymore.

Randomscrub said...

That's a feature of colleges everywhere, I think. How else can I explain my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Mighty Ducks movie marathons last semester?